in the footsteps of Henry Taunt - logo of the book "Thames Revisited" by Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins
home the project henry taunt photographs the book exhibition authors partners images maps sales contact
Richmond Bridge
Richmond Bridge 1860-87

Richmond Bridge 1860-87, photograph by Henry Taunt, reproduced by permission of English Heritage.NMR AL0488/066/02

   
Richmond Bridge now
Richmond Bridge, photography by Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins, copyright Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins

"Back to the river, the bridge is the next notable object. It is a fine stone structure of five arches; and, being picturesquely situated with the little islands below it, is an ornament to the river. The first stone was laid on 23 August 1774. It was opened in 1777.

The post office is in George Street, three minutes' walk from the bridge, and open on week days from 7 am till 9.30 pm, the last post for London being at 10 pm."

Henry Taunt 1885

One wonders what happens today if you put a first-class letter for SW1 into the main postbox at 9.45 pm.

Graham Diprose 2007

See Taunt's image on its original map.

The text above are sample extracts from the book; entries for each location are more extensive.

top

Outline of the River Thames: the area covered by Henry Taunt’s documentary photographs and maps from the source at Thames Head to the Houses of Parliament