in the footsteps of Henry Taunt - logo of the book "Thames Revisited" by Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins
home the project henry taunt photographs the book exhibition authors partners images maps sales contact
Inglesham Roundhouse
Inglesham Roundhouse c1870

Inglesham Roundhouse c1870, photograph by Henry Taunt, reproduced by permission of Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins JRGD1

   
Inglesham Roundhouse 1999
Inglesham Roundhouse 1999, photography by Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins, copyright Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins

"Just below is the site of Inglesham Weir, for many years the highest up the Thames; and the river, passing through the old weir-pool, turns sharply to the left under the little towing-path bridge, where it is joined by the Colne from Fairford and also the Thames and Severn Canal, the Round House belonging to the latter being close by. A short reach from Inglesham brings us to Lechlade, where a boat can be left at the wharf close above the bridge."

Henry Taunt 1885

Today, 'the donkey bridge' used by horses to tow barges into the first canal lock has gone. Instead a new bridge spans the main channel of the river, and is part of the Thames Path. Small cruisers owners tempted to exercise their navigational rights further upstream are soon thwarted by shallows and fallen trees, although canoes and punts can make some further headway.

Graham Diprose 2007

See Taunt's image on its original map.

The text above are sample extracts from the book; entries for each location are more extensive.

top

Outline of the River Thames: the area covered by Henry Taunt’s documentary photographs and maps from the source at Thames Head to the Houses of Parliament