in the footsteps of Henry Taunt - logo of the book "Thames Revisited" by Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins
home the project henry taunt photographs the book exhibition authors partners images maps sales contact
Abingdon
Abingdon
c1880-1900

Abingdon c1880-1900, photograph by Henry Taunt, reproduced by permission of River & Rowing Museum 2004.57.14

   
Abingdon
1999
Abingdon now, copyright Graham Diprose & Jeff Robins

"Abingdon is a very old town standing on the right bank of the river, which here is crossed by an ancient bridge built in 1416. In the centre of the Market Place, once stood the beautiful cross destroyed by Waller's soldiers in revenge for their defeat at Newbridge; the market house designed by Inigo Jones, forms one side of the square, while the new corn exchange and bank buildings lend dignity to the other. "

Henry Taunt 1885

Parliamentary forces occupied the town for much of the Civil War while Oxford was "for the King", not that this saved its Market Place cross! The Berkshire and Wiltshire Canal brought produce here from as far away as Bristol and on to Birmingham but by Taunt's time it was in disrepair and this trade was lost. In 1929, Abingdon became the home for the next 50 years of MG, the sporty offspring of Lord Nuffield’s motor empire.

Graham Diprose 2007

See Taunt's image on its original map.

The text above are sample extracts from the book; entries for each location are more extensive.

top

Outline of the River Thames: the area covered by Henry Taunt’s documentary photographs and maps from the source at Thames Head to the Houses of Parliament